(507) 352-8000

Auto Coverage for College Students?

Homestead Insurance and Financial Services

Question: My daughter is attending college this fall, and I’m wondering if she is still covered under our auto policy??
Answer: Going away to college does not necessarily change a person’s residency. Residency is largely a function of where you conduct your personal business as a citizen. Indicators include where you are registered to vote and where are you taxed. If residency is still with the parents based on those factors, the daughter is still a resident family member. If the daughter establishes another residency and changes all official signs of residency, then she is no longer a resident family member and would not be covered under the PAP.

It would be a good thing to review your auto policy with your agent and confirm your coverage’s.



Steve Rehm

Comments are closed.

Skip to content